FICO-YTL CEMENT ANNOUNCES “SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS 2025”
In September 2019, Fico-YTL announced their “Sustainable Development Goals 2025” with a cherished dream of contributing to the prosperous development of Vietnam in the future.
HCMC, October 21, 2019.
In 1980 the International Union for the Conservation of Nature published a world conservation strategy that included one of the first references to sustainable development as a global priority and introduced the term “sustainable development”. Two years later, the United Nations World Charter for Nature raised five principles of conservation by which human conduct affecting nature is to be guided and judged. In 1987, the United Nations World Commission on Environment and Development released the report Our Common Future, commonly called the Brundtland Report. The report included what is now one of the most widely recognized definitions of sustainable development.
“Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It contains within it two key concepts: 1/ the concept of ‘needs’, in particular, the essential needs of the world’s poor, to which overriding priority should be given; and 2/ The idea of limitations imposed by the state of technology and social organization on the environment’s ability to meet present and future needs.”
— World Commission on Environment and Development, Our Common Future (1987)
Since then, this concept has quickly spread on a global scale. Recently Vietnam Government has released a series of policies to support the promotion of sustainable development, as well as established organizations to monitor and evaluate enterprises.
With the mission of “Building the Foundation for the Future”, Fico-YTL Cement has compiled and published the Sustainable Development Goals 2025, based on the balance of the 3 pillars: economy, environment, and society. In detail, 6 goals that we have set and aim to complete by 2025 include:
- Setting priority for occupational Health and Safety: we are committed to ensuring the health, safety and well- being of our employees, contractors and third parties, and continuously to improve working conditions.
- Achieving Economic Growth and Innovation: we will ensure profitable business growth through the effective management of all processes and resources and investing in the innovation of products and services.
- Applying the Circular Economy: we conserve our natural reserves by continuously increasing the use of alternative resources by developing wastes co- processing service.
- Contributing prosperous to our people: we are committed to engaging and supporting the social and economic development of our local communities.
- Ensuring Compliance and Creating Transparency: we are committed to complying with all applicable laws, regulations, standards, and requirements, proactively communicate in a transparent way.
- Minimize environmental impacts: we are committed to contributing our efforts to reduce global warming, and also continue to reduce our impacts on air, land and water.
As a cement production company, Fico-YTL commits to continuously improve of the quality of products and services to satisfy customer needs and make efforts to address the challenges of sustainable development of the cement industry. We will continue to research for and engage new initiatives to save resources, control emissions, and have positive contribution to the local community.